John A. Bylancik, Jack McGrath, Jack McGrath, Jr.
History During the late 1930’s, John A Bylancik, began a small business buying movie posters from first run local movie houses and renting them to second run houses. This became the business Theatre Displays which was later purchased by National Screen Corporation, which employed John A Bylancik as their sole local employee. He supplemented his poster rental business by supplying other products to his theater customers. Albany Theater Supply In October of 1946, this became Albany Theatre Supply Company, a partnership between John A Bylancik and his son-in-law John E McGrath, current partners Ruth Sano, Dick and Tom McGrath’s father. John E McGrath became the driving force developing the small company into a complete cinema supply business. The partnership gradually expanded its product offering and began selling commercial cleaning supplies to the theaters. During the late 50’s television and movie-theater chains displaced traditional large movie houses and the janitorial division, known as ATSCO Products, began to take on added importance.
At the beginning of the 1970’s Ruth M (McGrath) Sano and Richard T McGrath formed the next generation of the business. Within a few years the majority of our business involved cleaning supplies and equipment.
Our original corporate name, Albany Theatre Supply, continued to attract a customer base seeking supplies for live stage; spotlights, dimmers, curtains and sound systems. Thomas F McGrath joined the corporation in 1978 to develop and manage this division.
During the 1980’s ownership was transferred to Richard and Thomas McGrath and to Ruth M Sano, with Richard assuming the role of President. During the next decade the company, through acquisitions and solid strategy, grew and ultimately outgrew its space and moved to a larger space next door at 445 North Pearl Street. Another sibling, Jean McGrath Eppelmann joined the company as a customer service manager who would come to wear many hats running the day to day operations at ATSCO.
The summer of 2013 marked another milestone in the history of ATSCO as Springs Capital, LLC, founded by David Thompson, acquired a majority stake in the company and formed a partnership with the McGrath brothers. After 40 years with the business, Ruth (McGrath) Sano happily retired to be able to travel and spend time with her children and grandchildren. In addition Springs brought in Danny Wheeler, Chief Operating Officer and Partner. Together Tom, Dick, Danny and Dave run the day-to-day operations of the company in Partnership. It is our belief that with a strong capital base and buying power, fast response and delivery combined with expertise and a collaborative culture ATSCO-Products, LLC will serve the industry for decades to come.